Animal House - the movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MacFan, Jun 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

this could've been great if they didn't make them tone anything down

kt66brooklyn and paulisdead like this.
  2. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

It should have been a made-for-cable program (not sure if that was an option in the late 70's), rather than ABC.

[​IMG]

3. MacFan

MacFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

A Hollywood producer could still do this! Anybody want to take a crack at it?

kt66brooklyn and paulisdead like this.
  4. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

I really don't see any resemblance whatsoever...those Twisted Sister videos were perfect for Neidermeyer
    Oh...wait!...:doh:...............................................................................................:righton:.:wave::cop:

5. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

6. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Incredibly, there were two other fraternity-set sitcoms on the other two networks, competing with Delta House. Brothers and Sisters (NBC) and Co-Ed Fever (CBS). None of these three lasted long, of course.

Michelle Pfieffer was a cast member on Delta House.

kt66brooklyn and Scowl like this.
  7. SmallDarkCloud

I don't find anything particularly objectionable about Animal House, but there is one scene that makes me wince a bit. it's the scene where Flounder is pushed aside to sit with another new recruit, who is (if I remember correctly) of Indian descent. The idea is, an Indian kid can't join the fun, I guess. Each time I watch the movie, I think, wouldn't it have been even better if the Indian kid got to be part of the frat, too?

I think Revenge of the Nerds is much more objectionable but, to its credit, the nerd fraternity is more diverse.

TheDailyBuzzherd and Scowl like this.
  8. zoostation

There is a 20 year difference between those 2 movies. lack of diversity in the early '60s was certainly the norm.

musicfan37 likes this.
  9. zoostation

the show could've worked on broadcast, the writing just needed to step up and be unique
    Norman Lear had great shows that aged beautifully on broadcast networks

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

With theme song written and produced by Jim Steinman. Not one of his better efforts IMHO:

thestereofan likes this.
  11. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I wish some of the cut footage would rear its head. Even 2nd tier material from that script would (probably) be humorous.
    Vidiot - were you made aware of any potential extra footage when you worked on it?

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

For instance, where the hell is the extended scene with Belushi yelling "I'm the goddamned Mustard Man"? Or all the cut Stork and Hardbar stuff. Or the Pinto spotted dick subplot. Or the pills.

BwanaBob, MacFan and Mister Charlie like this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Or the full-length acoustic concert that Stephen Bishop performed on the stairs of the frat house before John Belushi had had enough and went off script and bashed the guitar to make it stop?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    carrick doone likes this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" I gave my love a cherry that had no stone/ I gave my love a chicken that had no bone..."

carrick doone and MacFan like this.
  15. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

16. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

One of my all time favorite movies. My mom ended up having to go with my friend and me because we were 16. She laughed louder than anyone in the movie theater. People were turning and looking at her.

thestereofan likes this.
  17. MacFan

So cool!

Mister Charlie likes this.
  18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Who got his pledge pin?

19. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Quit. You're spitting all over me.

20. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

One of the guys I knew in high school is part of the Pershing Rifle Squad... it was his ROTC group that was used for the movie.

- Kevin

musicfan37 likes this.
  21. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I read the actual John Landis interview back in the day but couldn't find it anywhere. Here's a couple of reviews of the 2011 Blu-Ray release referencing that interview:

National Lampoon's Animal House Blu-ray Review - IGN

The film's VC-1 encode delivers Animal House to your home in the best quality imaginable. Back when the 2003 DVD got released, director John Landis delayed the disc in order to dirty the transfer back up. It turns out he was not pleased with the pristine restoration and asked the disc producers to unscrub what had been cleaned. Ultimately, that presentation was still pretty great, despite his attempts. But, I worried, would John Landis interfere with a high-def version? Would this new HD print look dirty or grainy?

Well, if I had to bet, this is likely the very same master used for the DVD and HD DVD release. Both look virtually identical, save for the boosted resolution, which delivers a sharper, cleaner looking transfer. Now, Animal House certainly doesn't look great – the film's stock is of a very gritty, muted variety -- but this presentation is easily the best home video transfer yet.

Blu-ray Review - National Lampoon's Animal House Blu-ray Review

Animal House is presented in a 1080p VC-1 1.85:1 transfer that I initially believed showed signs of DNR and other unfortunate issues. In multiple places, I believed I could see skin tones and details being affected by some sort of digital correction. There is an added issue here – in that the original HD transfer done for the HD-DVD was made to look much grungier at the instruction of director John Landis. ... UPDATE TO ALL THIS: Robert Harris has looked over the title and has concluded that the issues I've been seeing are a normal aspect of the grungy look of the movie.

---

Another review said the color appeared "washed out." So I'm wondering if there's been another transfer since the Blu-Ray and that's what's streaming?

22. MacFan

Thank you!

23. SmallDarkCloud

Hate to say it but, at this point, the audience for a comedy set in a fraternity in the early 60s would be very limited. A drama might work, a la Mad Men, where the era is being examined through a modern perspective, but a comedy? I'm not sure.

24. SmallDarkCloud

I don't own any home video editions to make a comparison, but I remember the film always looking petty funky, even drab in places. It was a relatively low-budget comedy that Universal didn't have much faith in, until it became a smash hit.

25. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

No.

Isn't there a blind guy at the table, too?

It's a mean gag, on purpose. The exclusion part is the whole point. It was at the Omega Theta Pi party, and it set up what a bunch of douches those guys were.

musicfan37, Mister Charlie and joelee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.