Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
The device that was too small for its own good. It tried to be a netbook but was so small and awkward that no one knew what to do with it...
That's what this mobile trend reminds me of, especially Android phones these days..

Nobody knew what to do with the Vaio P and even joked by holding it up to there face like a giant phone lol. Looking back now, It should have been a phone because I think people would actually buy it as their main device today! Talk about being seriously ahead of its time..

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I think it was a bit of a weird device. An interesting experiment, but clearly meant for female users and too much of a compromise (too small to be useful as a computer).

Regarding enormous Android phones, however... I just don't like 'em. I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy, but *for me* the iPhone is the perfect width; the slight increase in height made sense to me, keeping the basic size of the phone while providing more vertical space. I've always found Messages with the keyboard up, for example, to be too crowded. Not any more.

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Well I still have one and I've hackintoshed it. It is running MacOS X 10.6.8. Just lacking HW acceleration due to the pesky GMA500.. Else it is running great !

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I guess there has to be something out there for everyone.. I just hope the trend has peaked because I don't carry a purse around.. you know?

I never liked putting phones in my pocket and prefer a belt holster. I don't want it to look like a computer strapped to my side, even though it is. So, it's my belief that nearly every smartphone is close to becoming awkward. Some have reach that level already.

I haven't received my iphone 5 yet but I think it will be my last phone if they go any larger.

Last edited:

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Well I believe that the next step will be wearable technology. Devices that will be so integrated that they would not look like computers anymore (Google Glass, Nike Fuelband, UP are some examples)

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
The device that was too small for its own good. It tried to be a netbook but was so small and awkward that no one knew what to do with it...
That's what this mobile trend reminds me of, especially Android phones these days..

Nobody knew what to do with the Vaio P and even joked by holding it up to there face like a giant phone lol. Looking back now, It should have been a phone because I think people would actually buy it as their main device today! Talk about being seriously ahead of its time..

Do you remember the Sony Vaio X505 (google it). OMG! I wanted one so bad, back in the day, but it was so expensive - $2999.99 I recall the starting price. It was so thin. I do remember the P series. It looked like a woman's clutch.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Do you remember the Sony Vaio X505 (google it). OMG! I wanted one so bad, back in the day, but it was so expensive - $2999.99 I recall the starting price. It was so thin. I do remember the P series. It looked like a woman's clutch.

that's pretty insane for 2004, I've never seen it before but I like. No wonder I ended up with a Macbook Air... Can't wait to get my ip5, I'm having a hard time sleeping :eek:

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I'd love to see Sony return to their glory days. They used to make truly innovative products, pushing the boundaries of what was considered normal. They still are one of my favourite companies, and I sincerely hope that they return to being one of the top dogs (not that they've fallen that far behind).

Last edited:

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
I'd love to see Sony return to their glory days. They used to make truly innovative products, pushing the boundaries of what was considered normal. They still are one of my favourite companies, and I sincerely hope that they return to being one of the top dogs (not that they've fallen that far behind).

I agree. Sonly is basically, or used to be in terms of design, the Apple of Windows. They made some really game changing products, and some that were kind of made for niche markets, like my old Vaio UX that ran Windows XP. Now all I'm seeing is MacBook clones.

Here's a picture of a UX while we're at it
sony_vaio_UX_Premium_1.jpg

Last edited:

JustForSneaks07

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
San Fernando Valley, CA
I agree. Sonly is basically, or used to be, Apple of Windows. They made some really game changing products, and some that were kind of made for niche markets, like my old Vaio UX that ran Windows XP. Now all I'm seeing is MacBook clones.

Here's a picture of a UX while we're at it

when the hell did this came out? I never saw that at a SonyStyle store before.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I had one ....it was simply too slow, the hardware inside wasn't as advanced as it could be now....I'm a Mac guy now

Hmm... did you run Vista on it? That's what it came with, I think it was a bad decision by the manufacturer.... they probably should've shipped it with Linux like some of the NetBooks did, or even XP IMO.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Always had a soft spot for Vaios. They always had really badass and interesting designs. Haven't got one atm, but I may consider it when my ThinkPad finally croaks it.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Ive always liked Sony, they have hits and misses, but they do come out with some nice stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.